Friday, August 26, 2011

Starting Over - I'm a first-year teacher again.

Well, I finished my masters, taught four semesters as a grad student, worked as a mentor to new TAs, and tutored in developmental classes.  At the very last minute, right before the fall semester was scheduled to start, when I thought I would be unemployed, SDSU hired me and now I'm teaching four classes of second semester writing.

So now I'm starting over again. I have an office and a key and a faculty parking pass.  When I attend meetings, I am staff and not a grad student.

It feels weird, sort of like I don't quite belong.
I'm concerned about grading 128 papers.
I'm concerned about trying to meet with 128 students.

I'm trying to plan lessons, and I'm not sure what will work.

I want to try blogging again.  I want to articulate my goals and objectives, why I choose the plans I choose, at the same time reflecting on what I do and what I wish I had done.

Hopefully this will make me a better teacher next semester, and the one after that.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, and I'm trying to talk myself into going to the staff party. I don't really want to, and I'm tired and hungry and hot.

    ReplyDelete