Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Visual Rhetoric

I have to say--this is a blast.

Analysis of this kind is easier than text because we have concrete examples in front of us. I know everyone has done the "reading" because we have done it together in class.

  • They are doing lots of writing--about a page per class day. I want them to begin writing paragraphs that can be used for their upcoming assignment.

I wonder how use of visuals (power point, etc.) would affect discussion of print text. If students could see the print on a screen, would they be more engaged?

Would film clips or photos illustrating related ideas be helpful to understanding of print text?

Perhaps it's me--if I see what's on the screen, I spend less time looking at notes and more time looking at students. Not that I look at my notes a lot, but I'm thinking the notes on the screen help direct their attention.

I am hoping--okay praying--I get a smart classroom next semester. I am assuming I will teach again--but perhaps I should pray about that as well. Fewer students means fewer sections, and fewer sections means fewer TAs.

No comments:

Post a Comment