Saturday, October 10, 2009

Grading First Drafts of First Papers

I was looking forward to seeing the first drafts.
I hadn't anticipated how hard it would be to evaluate them.

  • Many students missed the objectives from the prompt. I am wondering if I didn't clarify what we wanted. Next time I want to touch each of those topics specifically.
  • About a third of the students focused on summary. I'll need to differentiate between summary and analysis.
  • Organization. At least half the students have no idea how to structure a paper of this nature. I'll need to touch on that as well.
  • I also need to spend more time on the text.

Insane. Definitely not enough classroom hours to do everything that needs to be done.

Strategies for grading - Given my general frustration with student texts, it took me forever to develop a strategy for grading papers. Eventually I recalled that I should examine student texts the same way I look at any text.

I put aside my lovely gel pens and got out the mechanical pencil. The use of a pencil is familiar to me. It automatically helps me see myself as looking for specific things.

I began to identify the required elements -
  • Hook
  • Description of Project
  • Description of Argument
  • Identification of Claims - does this tie back to the argument
  • Identification of Evidence supporting claims
  • Discussion of strategic organization of the text
  • Discussion of significance
  • Organizational strategy of the student essay
In identifying what should be there and what shouldn't be there, I began to type out comments for students.

I gave no grades for the first draft because I don't want any student to think they have it nailed and they don't need to do anything else. There were probably three or four A papers, but those students still need to get in the habit of revision and refinement.

No comments:

Post a Comment