Friday, October 2, 2009

Schmoker and Close Readings

We read an article for 511 that talked about the importance of close reading/critical reading skills. I want to go back and study this article in more depth because I think it is significant in teaching students of all ages how to read/understand/interact with a text.

I think I can use this material in teaching at a college level, although it also has significance in teaching younger students. I would be interested in reading more from Schmoker.

There is also significance with teaching students argument at a very young age.

I know the students who study debate, even starting at age 13, begin to develop exactly the type of skills advocated by Schmoker.

More on this later. Just wanted to jot down a few ideas before I forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment