Saturday, October 17, 2009

Talking About Culture Blog

I started a blog about our Ape and the Sushi Master book. The first day was great. Apparently the students viewed it as a required assignment.

Nice start.
They commented on each other's blogs.
They gave their own opinions.

I think, "I'm a genius to do this."

The other days haven't been as effective.
Knowing they don't have to do this every day means they don't.
My prompts have been awkward.

I'm not sure how to make them more concrete.
Or how to get the students to improve their diction in a blog format.

Need to think about this.

2 comments:

  1. Well, the blog worked well at first. Not sure how it broke down.

    Requirements?
    Flexibility?
    Did they not see how it connected to the actual assignments?

    I'm going to think about this and how this might work. I wonder what others have done in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the students turn in their blogs at the end of the section. Most of them were very good. These students have things to say, and they are learning to say them well.

    I would have preferred to see their comments on a daily basis, on the blog, where they can comment on each other.

    However, they didn't post until the end, defeating the purpose of the blog. Part of it was that posting daily wasn't a requirement. They knew they had more time.

    I should ask other instructors what they have done.

    ReplyDelete