Thursday, September 8, 2011

Add, Drop, Shuffle (The Worst Part of the First Week).

The hardest part of the first week of school was the add, drop, shuffle.

1.  Students want to add my class because it fits their schedule better.
2.  They want to add someone else's class and drop mine to create a better schedule.  However, they can't drop my class until they add the other one.  I cannot add the other students until they do that so the process is slow.
3.  Students want to shuffle their schedule and move to another section that I am teaching.  One student moved from the 9:00 to the 10:00 and then back to the 9:00.  To complicate things, she has only attended two classes.  Last Friday, three students in my 9:00 class asked to move to the 11:00 class.

Students show up at the beginning of class, the middle of class, the end of class.  It's exhausting.  I spent more time responding to emails about adding and shuffling than I did to creating lesson plans.

And responding in class to those requests took time away from the lesson plans.

Fortunately, I took good notes.  Unfortunately, I underestimated the enormity of the process and didn't create a plan of attack.

First Day:

1.  Write on board how many openings in the class.
2.  If students approach me before class and ask about crashing, let them know that I will address that after I take roll.
3.  After taking roll, ask if there are any crashers.  Explain that I can only keep 32 students in the class, that on the second day I can disenroll students if they do not attend, and that I will end class five minutes early so that they can sign the list.

The list would include name, red ID #, email, and are they enrolled in a section of RWS 200 already.
Chances are, some students will leave because they don't want to sit through the class.

1.  If they are not already enrolled in RWS 200, they get priority.
2.  After that, tell them I will give add codes on the second day if I have room on day 2.
3.  Priority given to students who do the homework.  (?)
4.  I think I shouldn't shuffle students on the first day until I absolutely have room in the class.  I need to think about this.  

I do need to be careful about homework.  Students can't do the homework if they don't have the book so I need to assign

One-and-a-half weeks into the semester, I think we're finally done.  I wonder if I should have done ANY work the first week of the semester!

And I think I need to ask Jamie or other lecturers what they do so that I can get a better plan.  More later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment