Thursday, September 8, 2011

Somalia - Day 1

The theme is social justice.  I wanted students to think about the needs of other people in the world.

If you can make a chance, should you?

I showed images of a current international crisis, the famine in Somalia, and then asked them to read four articles about Somalia and respond to them.

The responses were well written for the most part, as students described what they were thinking and feeling.  They adequately described the situation, and I was pleased.  Many were shocked that this was happening, but they didn't know anything about it.

Observations:
1.  I hoped to start off by appealing to their emotions.  I definitely did that.
2.  I hoped to get them to think about the controversial aspects of response.  We discussed that in class.  Not all students agreed about what we should do.
3.  I get some of the best free response papers I have seen.
4.  Images were essential.  In one of the classes, I didn't have time to show the images so they looked at them at home.  That really helped the students.  Many of them referred to what they saw.
5.  Appealing to a current event really helps students place rhetoric in context.  Even if they don't follow the news, they do want to know what's going on.

In every class, at least three students missed out on this very foundational aspect of the class because of the add/drop/shuffle.  I wonder if I should wait. I don't know.  

No comments:

Post a Comment