Thursday, September 8, 2011

Social Justice Day Video - Day 2

We watched this the World Social Justice Day video from Rhodes College and read a piece by Ben O'Neil written in response to the video.

It became a great jumping place to conversation.  I posted a prompt on the blog and asked students to respond.

However, I wish, I had presented the material a little differently.  I showed the video at the end of class and sent them off with instructions to read O'Neil.

Here's what I would do differently:

1.  Show the video and discuss the notion of "claims."  Each student is making a claim about a right.  However, none of the students are offering any evidence.  This would reinforce the notion of claims and also the need for evidence.

2.  Who is the audience for this piece?  How do you know?

3.  What is the purpose of the author in putting this video together?

4.  I would ask them to make their own claims about rights.  What is a right?  I want them to offer evidence in the form of a logical reason.

5.  Next, I would ask them to define "rights."  The definition frames the discussion, and in fact, this is what O'Neil does to build his own argument.

6.  Finally, I would ask them to read O'Neil and respond to the blog prompt.

I also asked the students to write a rhetorical precis on O'Neil.  I would still do that.

All in all, the readings and video worked well, but I think it could have worked better.


No comments:

Post a Comment